– Tips and tricks when moving
Rental of a moving truck may save you a lot of money. Hiring a moving company can cost you up to 15 – 20 000 NOK. With a bit of planning, a good friend (or two) and a rented truck for moving, you can save most of these expenses.
Think about it
When moving, most people get rid of stuff they no longer need. These things can be given away to the Salvation Army or similar organizations, family and friends, or be sold.
If you have the time, we highly recommend making a list with every item and its approximate cubic volume. This way, it will be much easier to calculate the size of the van required to complete the move.
Store your items in boxes
Try to store as much as possible in boxes. Clothing, covers and pillows are easy to store in plastic bags. Original covers for TV-/PC-equipment is practical if you still have them. If you don’t have any suitable boxes, consider buying some – it will save you a lot of time and hassle.
Make sure every box has a cover. It makes it much easier to store in the van. Remember that the boxes are going to be carried, so don’t fill them up too much or use boxes that are too large to be carried easily. Pack everything that is made of glass in paper/bubblewrap. Mark each box with its content and which room they are destined for.
Use a sack trolley to move boxes and other heavy things out of the van. This will save you a lot of time and work. Bergen Bilutleie AS can supply sack trolleys.
Here is a list of what you need:
- Solid boxes that are strong and have a cover.
- Paper or bubblewrap for glass and delicate objects. Newspapers also do the trick, but may leave marks.
- Laminated, corrugated cardboard or bubblewrap if something is particularly fragile.
- Tape and a marker.
- Carpets or blankets to protect your furniture. Furniture rubbing against each other may get damaged fairly quickly.
Try to ensure the following:
- Keep the house neat and clean before the work starts. Sort furniture and things according to where they will be placed.
- Pack for one room at a time. Consider what you pack and use the occassion to throw away things that you don’t need anymore.
- Books and records should be packed in suitable cartons. Limit the weight – 10 to 15 kg in each box is enough.
- Place heavy items at the bottom of the boxes and lighter items on top. Do not fill all the boxes with heavy things.
- Mark the boxes with contents and how they should be stacked.
- Crinkle some paper and place it on the top of the boxes before you close them. Then you will get a layer of air on top.
- All glass and porcelain should be packed separately. Things should not be able to rub against each other.
- Garbage bags are easy to use, but provides no protection.
- Tissue paper protects the silver from tarnishing, but is far too thin and offers little protection.
- Close the opening of rice and noodle packages with tape.
- Do not use tape to lock drawers and cabinets in furniture – it may leave a mark when you remove the tape.
- Remove loose plates in cupboards and put them at the bottom.